The Biomedical Group at IPIC is currently looking for 4 PhD applicants seeking a prestigious career development path in the field of photonics research and innovation.
PhD positions available in the Biomedical Theme include:
Advancing light sensitive capabilities of ultracompact microcamera to sense fluorescence and luminescence from biomarkers. This involves innovating the device optics, developing algorithms and simulations to enable biomedical sensing and quantification of biomarkers. (details)
Validation of the ultracompact microcameras for clinical translational research. The research involves development of data analysis algorithms, simulations, device testing and validation of microcameras for surgical guidance application. (details)
Development of an ultra-low power, ultra-miniature optical fibre communication architecture and its constituent transceiver elements for in-body communications. The project will involve innovative communication architecture design and modelling as well as full system integration and experimental verification. (details)
Demonstration of miniaturized light sources for hyperspectral imaging. The research is in the development of integration technologies for the coupling of multiple lasers into a common waveguide for spectral control of scene illumination. (details)
Each studentship will offer the opportunity for you to:
- Complete a cutting edge research project in one of the areas listed below.
- Collaborate with our 17 Principal Investigators and their research teams.
- Access Tyndall’s world-class research facilities.
- Publish in leading journals and present at top international conferences.
- Complete advanced training courses in photonics.
- Develop translational skills, e.g. project management, communication & dissemination and entrepreneurial skills.
- Connect with our global network of 30 industrial and more than 100 academic partners.
- Join a diverse community of young researchers from across the world and participate in one of our vibrant student chapters
It isn’t all about work, we have a highly active sports, culture and social calendar that covers a comprehensive range of activities to fit the wide needs of our community. There will be plenty of opportunities to experience ‘céad míle fáilte’, meaning ‘a hundred thousand welcomes’, see Ireland’s stunning scenery, visit historical sights and experience our lively atmosphere, from outdoor pursuits such as hill walking and kayaking, to family orientated activities. This includes our Annual Cultural Diversity Day where our international community in Tyndall showcases their cultures, traditions and customs.
Diversity of thought and diversity of people are at the heart of our culture